July 24, 2008

Rihanna gone Disturbed!

What has Rihanna got up her sleeve this time? It seems the unstoppable Queen of RnB is trying to scare us with her new video, 'Disturbia'.
Last week, the video premiered for $1.49 on US iTunes, swiftly followed by the release in the UK. This is the third single to be released from the re-release of 'Good Girl Gone Bad, Reloaded' and this is another sure fire hit, just like most the other songs on the album.
The song went straight to the top of the iTunes chart and no wonder, she follows up her Maroon 5 duet of 'If I Never See Your Face Again' with another song that will get your feet tapping, opening up the web to get the lyrics and another catchy chorus.
After doing exactly that, I opened the lyrics and found that although they don't mean particularly much, you forgive her after watching the video.

"Your mind is in disturbia
It's like the darkness is the light
Disturbia
Am I scaring you tonight
Your mind is in disturbia
Ain't used to what you like"

Whatever you make of the lyrics let it be because after watching the appropriately shiny yet horrifying video, I just kept wanting to listen to the song. Mainly a variety of guises for Rihanna including SpiderGirl, Zombie Rihanna and S&M Rihanna, it leaves us wondering was she trying a new style of video or she is practising for a man's fantasy?
But after watching the video for a second time, I realised it's exactly what I would have wanted to watch, despite the whole male connotations. This video is surreal, it's weird and it's different, exactly what we wanted from the artists who are starting to sound generic. What appeals to me is that this video reminds me of a mix between a horror film and a David Lynch movie, what is real and what is surreal. I am sure that after watching the video several times, none of us will be any wiser but if the demand is there, then the product is produced.
Well done to Rihanna, who is still, a year on from 'Umbrella' proving she has more tricks ready for us. Look out for any of her new singles, is it going to be 'Disturbia' or 'Rehab'? More sources have found that after those, she is set to release 'Breakin Dishes'.
Here is the video-





Next on the agenda is to plug one of those cover singers on YouTube. Occasionally I browse through in the hope that I will stumble across a really singer who covers some of my favourite songs and instead I found an amazing singer.
Her name is Alyssa Brianne and this from her page, "I am 18 years old and I lovee to sing! I just finished my last year in high school and will attend college in the fall. I am still recording in Houston whenever I get the chance."
The page ranges from Katy Perry's 'I Kissed a Girl' to Natasha Bedingfield's 'Unwritten'. If you look close enough, there is amazing similarities between her and Vanessa Hudgens from High School Musical.
Her pages is here

No comments: